Our History

The Journey Begins

 

      The United Pentecostal Church of Spencer had its beginning in tent meetings.  A tent was erected at the site of the current Spencer Municipal Utilities near the water tower.  The water tower was removed in 1978.  Bro. William Sauer and Bro. Gilbert Seaza were the preachers.  Tent and house meetings were held in the surrounding communities of Ruthven, Hartley, Moneta, Marathon, Rossie, Greenville, Terril and Royal.

 

        During the Winter of 1920-1921, Bro. Booth Clibborn, grandson of General Booth of the Salvation Army, came from Canada to preach. Services were held in a building at East Second Street and Grand Avenue.

 

Making Strides

 

      In 1926, Bro. T.G. Lowe helped to organize a building program for 718 East First Street (formerly 794 East 1st).  The Church was completed in three months and dedicated in October 1926 by Bro. Lowe.  Bro. Aite Vanderhoff was president of the board and Sis. Sonius was secretary.  Bro. George Vanderhoff became the first pastor.  Other Pastors were W.W. White, Cleve Kerley, C.E. Lundquist, George Dainty, and Lloyd Hodges.

 

Reaching New Heights

 

        In March, 1975, Bro. Dale Hodges assumed the pastorate.  Extensive remodeling was done to the entire building.  Then in 1983 the footings were dug for a new 50' x 70' two-story addition.  Three offices, new restrooms, dining room, kitchen and several nice-sized classrooms were completed and dedicated in 1985.

 

Growth for Tomorrow

      

        In 2001, the church purchased four acres where the former Stub’s Ranch Kitchen property was located in south Spencer on US Highway 71.  A labor investment of three years was made at this location by the members of our church family.  The Church Family relocated to this site in the fall of 2004.  The Church Dedication was held in March, 2005 during the Iowa District Spring Conference.  District Superintendent Carl Lagow dedicated the renovated structure.  The home of Faith Pentecostal Church was dedicated to be a sanctuary of praise and worship where souls of all walks of life can find Jesus and be drawn closer to Him.